Nowadays, we’re all on the lookout for ways to trim our ever-rising energy bills and save some extra cash. There are a few options out there, some as simple as optimising your AC usage, but one stands out more than most: installing an air source heat pump (ASHP).
ASHPs have been skyrocketing in popularity over the last few years, and it’s no surprise why. Unlike traditional heaters, which work by burning fossil fuels, ASHPs work by harnessing the natural warmth in the air outside and using it to heat your home and water. Their eco-friendliness and money-saving potential make them the ideal replacement for an old or failing boiler.
The team at Cool-Tec have been working with heating, ventilation, and air conditioning systems for over 35 years. Below, we’ll explain how an ASHP can put more money back in your wallet and explore the savings you can expect when you choose to install one.
How can an ASHP save me money in the long run?
Installing an ASHP isn’t just great for the environment; it’s also a smart way to save money year on year. Let’s explore how ASHPs can put some extra cash in your pocket:
- Energy efficiency: ASHPs are incredibly energy efficient. They’re powered by electricity, but can provide three to four times more heat than the electricity they consume. This means far lower energy bills compared to traditional heating systems.
- All-in-one heating and cooling: Unlike normal boilers, ASHPs can both heat and cool your home. This saves you from the cost of installing, running, and maintaining separate systems, while opening up more space in your property.
- Low maintenance: ASHPs are known for their minimal maintenance needs. Simply give the filters and coils a clean every now and then, make sure to have it serviced once a year, and your system will keep running smoothly for as long as you need it to.
- Government grants: Thanks to programmes like the Boiler Upgrade Scheme, you can get up to £7,500 toward your ASHP installation. You also pay 0% VAT. This helps reduce the initial cost and makes ASHPs even more budget-friendly.
- Smart controls: Many ASHP systems come with advanced controls and zoning options. They let you heat or cool only the parts of your home that are being used, so you don’t have to waste energy on empty rooms.
- Long-term savings: Although the initial cost may be higher than some traditional systems, ASHPs pay for themselves over time through lower energy bills. They also tend to have a longer lifespan, adding to your cost savings.
How much money can I save with an ASHP?
Most homeowners who opt for an ASHP instead of a traditional boiler system can look forward to saving some money. However, the exact amount you’ll save depends on a few factors:
1. Heat pump size and efficiency
It almost goes without saying, but the more efficient your ASHP model is, the less electricity it will use, and the more money you’ll save.
Always keep an eye out for models with a high Seasonal Energy Efficiency Ratio (SEER) for cooling and a high Heating Seasonal Performance Factor (HSPF) for heating, as they indicate a high level of efficiency all year round.
You should also make sure you choose a size and capacity that matches your home’s layout. If your unit is too small, it might struggle to keep your space comfortable and end up running all the time, costing you more in energy. On the other hand, an oversized unit can constantly switch on and off, which isn’t great for efficiency either.
2. Weather and temperature
ASHPs draw heat from the air outside your home, so how well they perform depends a lot on the local climate and the weather. ASHPs work best in areas with milder climates where the temperatures don’t drop too much, but they become less efficient in very cold conditions. In these cases, you might need a backup heating system, which could affect your cost savings.
Luckily, the UK’s relatively mild weather makes ASHPs a valid option even in the winter months. Temperature-related issues usually only occur in areas where the climate is more extreme.
3. Maintenance routine
Taking good care of your ASHP is key to keeping it running smoothly. Having it professionally inspected once a year can help you catch and deal with issues like dirty filters, refrigerant leaks, or other concerns before they become major headaches. Otherwise, you might end up with reduced efficiency, higher bills, and even more damaging problems in the future.
4. Home insulation
A well-insulated home will be much more effective at locking in warmth during winter and keeping it out during summer – it’s why many modern homes put energy efficiency front and centre. When your home is more energy-efficient, you’ll find yourself using your ASHP less and dialling down the thermostat, which adds up to greater savings on your energy bills.
5. Electricity source
ASHPs are a lot more eco-friendly compared to traditional heating systems, but they still need some electricity to function. Where you get your electricity from can make a big difference in how much you save with an ASHP, both in terms of money and carbon emissions. If your electricity comes from renewable sources, like solar panels, using an ASHP can be even better for both your wallet and the planet.
Talk to our skilled team of HVAC specialists
Think an ASHP could be the perfect way to put some serious savings in your pocket? Then let’s get started!
At Cool-Tec, we’ve long been committed to providing first-rate ASHP services to homes and businesses across the UK. Our highly-trained and qualified team will work with you to design and install a high-quality heat pump that’s tailored to your property’s layout, making sure you get the best performance and savings while keeping your comfort in mind.
In addition to taking care of the installation, we’re here to provide planned maintenance services and round-the-clock repairs to keep your heater running as it should.
Our home base is in Poole, Dorset, but our services stretch across the entire UK. If you’re ready to take the first step towards saving on your energy costs, book a free survey online or give us a call on 0800 0189941 today!